My Blog List

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Giant Stuffed Hamburger

Another hectic day of family and friends and food. This morning by 9:30 I was feeding my oldest son and youngest daughter and two six-year-old boys breakfast, though everyone had different tastes. Colin and I ate smoked salmon and cream cheese, his on a bagel, mine on rye toast. His son, Kegan, my youngest grandson, explained to Jacob, "It's sushi. I don't eat it!" Jacob: "Ewww" or something similar. Jordan had cottage cheese and half a bagel with cream cheese while the boys ate Krispie Kreme donuts. By 10:30 they were off--Colin and Kegan back to Houston, Jordan and Jacob to do errands and chores--she was proud that she fixed the leaking flapper in a toilet. And I was fixing dinner for seven.
Christian had a hard week, so even though we were celebrating the 2nd birthday of my dog, Sophie, the menu catered to Christian's tastes. Sophie had no place at the table. We had a ring sausage that Elizabeth and Christian like--I found it to dry and spicy. I fixed Christian's favorite German potato salad and the giant stuffed hamburger he'd asked for last week. He said, "We haven't used your grill in a long time. Remember that giant hamburger you used to make."
So here it is, a recipe from Aunt Amy, my sister-in-law from New York who is much loved by all my children.

Aunt Amy's Giant Stuffed Hamburger

2 Tbsp. butter
1¼ c. herbed, seasoned stuffing mix, crushed (makes about ¾ cup)
1 egg, beaten
1 3-oz. can mushrooms, drained (I sauté about five large mushrooms)
⅓ c. beef broth
¼ c. sliced green onion
¼ c. toasted almonds (optional; I leave them out)
¼ c. snipped parsley (optional, but a nice touch)
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 lbs. ground beef
1 tsp. garlic salt, pepper and Worcestershire

Melt butter in saucepan and remove from heat. Add stuffing mix, egg, mushrooms, beef broth, onion, almonds, parsley, and lemon juice. (It’s remarkable what adding lemon or lime juice does to a variety of recipes!) Mix well and set aside.

Combine beef and seasonings to taste; divide in half. On sheets of waxed paper pat each half into an 8-inch circle. Spoon stuffing over one circle of meat to within 1 inch of edge. Top with second circle of meat and peel off waxed paper. Seal around edges and invert into a well-greased grilling basket. Grill over medium heat about 10-12 minutes per side. Cut into wedges and serve. Makes six servings.

Don’t have a grill or it’s too cold outside? Broil it in the oven—it still tastes great. Just don’t overcook it until it is dry.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Helpful post, I'm going to spend more hours learning about this subject.

    ReplyDelete