My Blog List

Thursday, May 19, 2022

The Chicken Salad Controversy

 


Not my picture but the texture of the salad looks close.
Also, I liked the platter idea for serving.

When the weather starts to warm, Jordan shies away from “heavy” meals like pot roast and prefers salads. I’m with her a hundred percent, but there are two males in the family to feed. So we try for substantial salads—Cobb Salad (not Christian’s favorite), Big Mac Salad and Taco Salad (both Christian’s favorites). Don’t even mention Salade Niçoise because tuna is not on the list of recommended foods, even though I buy it by the case for Jordan and me.

So the other night I tried chicken salad. Christian and I have texture differences. He doesn’t like diced or even minced celery because it’s crisp where he doesn’t want crisp; I love celery in salads but hold the chopped nuts. To me, they are the wrong texture in the wrong place. So I put celery in the chicken salad, and he picked it out. And gave the salad only a B rating because it had no grapes and no nuts. The whole reason I liked the idea was that it had flavors different from the usual.

There is also the matter of how you like chicken cut for a salad—ruling out grilled chicken salad which is to me a whole different dish. Some liked it diced in nice-sized chunks (when I looked online for pictures of chicken salad, almost all showed chunks); some like it shredded, but you have to start with a warm piece of chicken to do that effectively. I used to whir chicken in the processor, so that it was really fine, and the salad came out with a creamy, almost spreadable texture. Now my choice is to mince it (partly so I don’t have to get out the processor). So here’s what I did:

Cilantro/Lime Chicken Salad

3 cups minced chicken (from a rotisserie chicken)

2/3 cup regular mayonnaise (light mayo or yogurt work but not as well)

1 tsp. garlic powder

½ tsp. each salt and pepper

2/3 cup minced celery (do string the celery before mincing)

¼ cup minced sweet onion

¼ cup green onion, chopped fine (you can use all sweet union or all green according to taste; I am on a sweet onion kick but wanted the color from green onion tops)

½ cup finely chopped cilantro (no need to stem it first)

Juice of one lime (more or less, according to taste—Jordan and I like more)

Optional: 1 sweet bell pepper, finely diced (if you cook with me much at all, you’ll learn I never use bell pepper: it doesn’t like me, and I don’t like it)

Mix it all together and chill before serving. Nice in an avocado half. Jordan offered “the boys” tortillas, so they could make it into a wrap, but I don’t think that idea went over well with either of them. A fruit salad might be a nice accompaniment. We had a traditional, tossed green salad. I’ll make this again and again this summer.

A note on stringing celery: somehow in raising Jordan, I never taught her to string celery. She used to stuff celery with cream cheese as an appetizer, and I’d get stuck with these strings. I have since tried to show her the technique. It’s like the time I watched Jamie struggling to peel a hard-boiled egg. “Didn’t your mother ever teach you to peel them under running cold water?” I demanded. He said no. Now he knows. I’m quite sure my mom taught me those little tricks, along with a pinch of sugar in tomato sauces, but I never passed them on to my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment