My Blog List

Thursday, June 9, 2022

The Joy of Finding a Lost Recipe

 





Longtime friends that I don’t see often, including my goddaughter, will be in Fort Worth for the Van Cliburn Piano Competition, and they want to come to the cottage for lunch one day. So we are mired in that, “I’ll fix something,” vs. “No, don’t go to any trouble. We’ll bring something” argument. In truth, I would feel a bit inhospitable if I let them bring lunch, and maybe there’s an element of not wanting them to think I’m too old or otherwise incapable.

At any rate, I decided since they’ve been in the East for years now, it’s time to serve them a Tex-Mex lunch. And I knew just the recipe I wanted. But I couldn’t find it. I could picture the sheet of paper it is on—with a box around the recipe. Jordan suggested we talked about what was in it so we could reconstruct it, but I couldn’t even remember that. All I remembered was Mexican, chicken, and so delicious that I fixed it frequently.

I have two appallingly thick folders of recipes in the file rack by my desk, and I went through each, carefully, page by page, twice (yes I can be obsessive when get an idea in my mind!). No luck. Just when I gave up and was considering a recipe for chicken enchilada pie, I remembered that slim folder by the side of my file rack. It mostly has old favorites from a previous existence, but every once in a while, I stick a favorite in there. And there it was: Queso Chicken Casserole. So here it is for you: I recommend it highly—and it’s easy.

You can tell this is a 
much loved
recipe

Ingredients:

32 oz. can refried beans, plain

1 can Rotel, probably the original

½ sweet onion, diced

¾ lb. Velveeta, diced

3-4 cups shredded chicken (yes, by all means use rotisserie chicken)

1 cup corn

½ cup cilantro, chopped

Grated cheese, either Mexican blend or cheddar

Lightly grease a 9 x 13 pan. Spoon refried beans into the pan and spread evenly (you may want to heat them a bit to make spreading easier).

Mix onion, Rotel, Velveeta and saute over medium heat in a large skillet, stirring a bit until the cheese is completely melted. Stir in the chicken and corn and mix.

Carefully spoon the chicken/cheese mixture over the refried beans, distributing it evenly. Then top with cheese. The recipe calls for Mexican blend, but I always prefer cheddar, and I go a bit more generous than the ½ cup called for.

Bake aat 350o until casserole is bubbly and cheese on top is melted. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve immediately with corn chips. I think I’ll also add a spoonful of guacamole in a lettuce cup for pretty presentation.

Olé!

No comments:

Post a Comment