My Blog List

Thursday, July 13, 2023

Open-faced sandwiches for a quick, easy, and cool summer supper

 

Sophie keeping an eye on the cook in the kitchen.
After all, sometimes a bit of cheese falls on the floor.
Accidentally, of course.

The French have mastered the technique for this treat they call a tartine. Sounds sophisticated, but it’s really what you and I know as an open-faced sandwich. No, I didn’t need my fictional character, Irene, to teach me that. I’m a big fan of these easy-to-fix meals. All you need is a piece of bread and something to put on top of it. But it’s not that simple.

First you need a good piece of bread—artisan breads are probably just right. Sometimes a good, sturdy piece of rye is the best accompaniment for your toppings. In France, they trim the crust off bread for tartines. Recently I made an open-faced sandwich with the sourdough bread I love, but the crust proved difficult to cut. Trimming is good idea. You want to toast the bread and then give it a coating that will not only add flavor but will be a barrier between the toast and the toppings to prevent sogginess that might come from, say, sauteed vegetables. For a breakfast sandwich, spread butter or jam or cream cheese. At lunchtime, try spraying with olive oil or smearing with hummus or mayonnaise.

Vegetables deserve a dressing too, even if it’s a simple vinaigrette or lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Be sure vegetables are thinly sliced or diced so that they are easier to deal with. And things that might roll off, like capers or sliced scallions? Put them first on the bread, so the schmear will act as glue to hold them.

Finally, arrange the ingredients attractively—I keep quoting my mom who said food is half eaten with the eye. Think of the sandwich as a small chaucuterie board. What looks good next to what?

When you think of an open-faced sandwich, what comes to mind? Avocado toast? Lox and bagels, especially since I like mine on a slice of Jewish rye? A Kentucky Hot Brown? The possibilities are almost endless. Here are two I liked: one a new non-recipe I just found and served, the other a classic I’ve ordered and made for years. Caution: you need a knife and fork to eat these.

First, the new:

Roast beef and blue cheese open-faced sandwich*

(for one sandwich, amounts approximate and you can vary to taste)

Bread – I used sourdough but didn’t trim the crusts and wish I had; rye would also be good

Olive oil

Roast beef – deli style, thin-sliced about ¼ pound or two or three slices

Mayonnaise – 2 Tbsp

Fresh horseradish – 1 Tbsp.

Blue cheese – ¼ cup, finely crumbled

Fresh beet, steamed or roasted – about ¼ cup, finely diced

Simple vinaigrette – 1 Tbsp.

Watercress leaves – ½ cup

Toast the bread and spray it with olive oil. Combine mayonnaise and horseradish and spread mixture on toast; layer roast beef, blue cheese, beets. Drizzle vinaigrette over sandwich. Top with watercress.

And the classic. Years ago, this was served at Colonial Country Club but was not on the menu (that may still be the case—I don’t know). You had to ask for it. I have since approximated it at home many times. This is from memory, so it is a bit vague:

Rye bread

Baked ham (not smoked) – 2 deli slices

Roast turkey – 2 deli slices

Swiss cheese (or provolone) – one large slice

Thousand Island dressing, either homemade or bottled – I am sure Colonial had a house-made sauce, but I find this a good substitute. Use enough to cover the sandwich, but don’t drown it.

Hard boiled egg slices to decorate – (optional)

This is pretty self-explanatory. Just layer it as listed in the ingredients, but be sure to toast the bread and spray with olive oil.

Serve with a pickle spear.

*This was a description, not a recipe, published in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. The idea is attributed to Linda Gasserheimer

 

No comments:

Post a Comment