My Blog List

Thursday, February 22, 2024

A Sunday night supper

 


 

My Canadian daughter and her husband leave Tuesday for their move to South Carolina. They plan to drive it in one long day, since they will have two young and rambunctious doodle dogs with them. God speed their journey. I have been to a large-ish farewell party for them but felt I wanted to do a more personal goodbye. I figured by Sunday night their kitchen would be packed, and they wouldn’t want to cook. So I’d invite them for happy hour with heavy appetizers. At first I thought I’d serve cheeseburger sliders and bean salad, but that somehow didn’t sound right. So I’ve settled on a big antipasto platter. And that got me to thinking about charcuteries, cheese platters and antipasto, the differences and the similarities.

I think of these as versions of the same dish. All three are easy to put together if you plan ahead and have the ingredients. A cheese platter may be the easiest, but with the price of good cheese these days, it may not be the least expensive. Charcuterie is the traditional meat platter of France. Antipasto is traditionally the first course of a formal Italian dinner, but in this country, it has gone from the seated table to the happy hour coffee table. You often find the same ingredients on charcuterie and antipasto platters. The key to all three platters is variety in taste, texture, and eye appeal.

 Cheese platters: You can choose from four basic types of cheese: aged (cheddar, brie, gouda, goat, various types of Swiss); soft (camembert, Havarti, feta); firm: Manchego, Parmigiano, Pecorino; blue: (blue, gorgonzola, stilton). For a small gathering of perhaps four people, three choices, one each from three of the groups, are probably enough. Count on a third of a pound per person. Offer a choice of crusty breads and crackers. I’d put each cheese on a separate dish or board, so they don’t “share” flavors, and be sure to put out a separate knife for each.

Refrigerate cheese until two or three hours before serving; bring to room temperature.

Possible accompaniments: honey, chutney, artichoke hearts.

[Note: a favorite treat a young friend recently introduced me to: put a bite of blue cheese on a cracker or slice of apple or pear and then drizzle just a drop or two of honey on it. Delicious! You can also spread a really thin layer of honey on a slice of feta and bake it briefly.]

Charcuterie:  Traditionally this is a platter of cold, cured, or preserved meats. Once again, you want to mix texture and taste. Use one or more salamis, perhaps a hard and a soft; a pate or terrine; sausage; thinly sliced ham, possibly rolled for easier eating; prosciutto or its beef cousin bresaola. If you include a smoked meat, limit it to one. As one chef says, after a while all you taste is smoke.

[Note: a pâté is meat in a spreadable paste texture. Most people think of duck or chicken liver as pâté and it’s true those are most common, but pâté can be made of beef, game, fish, even vegetables. They are usually richly seasoned with herbs, spices, and either wine or brandy. Often, they are made in a loaf or terrine pan, chilled, and sliced. A terrine is distinguished by its texture. Ingredients are coarsely chopped. Pork is the most common base ingredient but again, game, seafood, poultry may be used.]

Two ounces of meat per person is usually enough, since the meats tend to be rich.

Suggested accompaniments: olives, nuts, a good grainy mustard, cornichons, chutney, or jam. Serve a variety of crusty breads and plenty of forks. Small individual plates are a good idea.

Antipasto: an antipasto platter makes wider use of a variety of foods. Cured meats such as prosciutto and salami may be the basis, but add cheeses, perhaps bocconcini (those mozzarella balls), a hard Pecorino or grana, and a provolone somewhere in the middle. Vegetables are also prominent on the antipasto platter—cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, broccoli or cauliflower pieces, sliced sweet onion or whole scallions, hearts of palm, celery slices, baby carrots, capers. If you’re ambitious, devil an egg for each of your guests Bread sticks are traditional but it’s nice to offer bread too, maybe crusty baguette slices.

Garnishes: my mother, a fabulous cook, always told me food is half eaten with the eye. It’s particularly important to remember that when laying out these platters. Tuck a leafy green—radicchio or watercress or flat Italian parsley—here and there among the meats and cheeses. Use grapes as a focal point. Stand back and look at your platter to see if the colors and spacing draw your eye.

Once you get the hang of these platters, you can put one together in minutes. An unexpected or last-minute guest? Just whip up a platter, and you’ll rank high as host or hostess.

I haven’t quite made the final decision for Sunday’s antipasto, but I resisted the temptation to add pickled herring, because I figured I was the only one who would eat it. And I did add liverwurst—we’ll see who eats that. But I hope there’s enough variety for everyone. And, yes, I will devil some eggs—I found a recipe the other day where you put in tiny bits of almost every spice in your cabinet, but it’s for a dozen eggs. Not sure I can reduce it enough for four eggs! I also resisted white anchovies, another taste I love, because I know Sue’s husband Teddy doesn’t like them.

I do hope no one will go home hungry, but I’m a bit worried about Christian. Several things he won’t touch, so I’ve added some sliced roast bison and some black olives specifically for him.

Adapted from Gourmet on a Hot Plate: Tiny KItchen Tips and Recipes: Alter, Judy, Alter, Judy: 9780996993531: Amazon.com: Books

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment