My Blog List

Thursday, November 17, 2022

Updating the old familiar

 


I am not a modern cook who scorns canned soup as an ingredient.
I proudly cook with canned soup frequently.

This time of year, two themes run through food magazines and online sites. There is either advice on how to cook the perfect turkey or suggestions for alternative entrees for those who are tired of the bird. That’s never a question for my family: they want what they have always had, cooked the way they have always had it.

So our Thanksgiving begins with a cheese ball of blue, cream, and cheddar (read Velveeta these days). Pride of place goes to the turkey, with dressing in a separate pan and never again in the turkey, mashed potatoes (Jordan’s specialty), gravy lots of gravy, green bean casserole with French’s fried onions, and, ideally, my mother’s everlasting yeast rolls (kudos to granddaughter Morgan who has volunteered to make the rolls this year). No substitutions, no “improving” the recipe. I’ve made it all for so many years I can do it from scratch.

This year Jordan is slated to provide the green bean casserole, cheeseball, and potatoes. As we made a grocery list, we quibbled over how many cans of green beans (oh yes, they must be canned) to buy, so for kicks I looked up the recipe online. Just for quantity, you understand. But I found a new twist—Campbell’s own web site suggests adding a bit of soy and some milk. Jordan was absolutely horrified when I read that to her, but I’ll keep working on it, because I think it would be a good addition. Here are the ingredients for a casserole to feed six (we will double or triple the recipe):

Green bean casserole

4 cans cut green beans

1 can Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup

½ cup milk

1 tsp. soy sauce

1-1/2 cups French’s French Fried onion rings    

I was so taken with the idea of checking out old favorites that when we decided on a pot roast the other night, I went back to Campbell’s for the traditional onion soup recipe, long a favorite. Once again, I found updates. I used to make it for the kids with carrots and potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix, and red wine, but here’s what I did this time:

Onion soup pot roast     

3-1/2 lb. beef chuck roast, boneless

¼ tsp. salt

2-1/2 Tbsp. vegetable oil

1/8 tsp. pepper

1 can Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup

1 packet dry onion soup mix

1 cup red wine

3 cloves garlic, sliced

Potatoes, carrots, and celery

4 sprigs fresh thyme

2 bay leaves

1 6-inch sprig fresh rosemary

Salt and pepper the roast and brown in oil. Mix soups, wine and garlic and pour into slow cooker (I did it stovetop all day—and it took all day!). Stir in vegetables. Place herbs in center of cooker on top of vegetables and place the meat directly over the herbs. Cook on low 7-8 hours. Remove meat to cool and thicken gravy with 2 Tbsp. flour stirred into ¼ cup cold water.

This is one of those recipes that prove how helpful it is to have your own herb garden! It got raves from the family and recipe requests from Christian and Chandry, who was our guest that night. I think I heard Christian say it was better than the Mississippi pot roast he makes. Good leftovers too.

Do you have some old favorites you might want to rethink or upgrade just a bit? Nothing drastic.                                                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment