My Blog List

Thursday, December 7, 2023

Vintage recipes for a cocktail party

 



The very idea of a cocktail party is vintage now that we have happy hour. But whatever you call that early evening gathering, it's the most popular way to entertain at the holidays. I remember once during a past holiday season a friend moaned to me, “I need a real, sit-down meal. I’m so tired of grazing buffet tables of appetizers.” Some may tire of these events, but I love the food. I prowled through some old files and came up with three recipes to share. I’m not sure where “vintage” begins (purists say it only applies to wine, but that’s almost archaic)—some say fifty years ago but others say twenty-five. If the latter, these recipes are vintage. They are dishes I used to fix back in the eighties and nineties when I threw huge Tree Trimming parties at Christmas. I did all the cooking myself for parties of up to seventy-five. As you’ll see, I was on my caviar kick even back then.

Caviar/cream cheese spread

3-1/2 8-oz. packages cream cheese, softened

1 cup mayonnaise

1 small onion, grated

1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 Tbsp. Lemon juice

Dash of hot sauce

1 3-1/2 oz. jar caviar

3 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped

1 cup chopped fresh parsley

Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until it is softened and smooth. I find it really works best to leave it at room temperature for half a day before you try to work with it. Add mayonnaise, onion, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Beat well until all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.  Spoon the mixture into a shallow serving dish. Top with caviar, parsley, and eggs. Serve with crackers.

The recipe says it will serve 35. I had leftovers with 75, but it was one of several dishes. You might try halving it.

Artichoke hearts with caviar

1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened

2 Tbsp. sour cream

2 tsp. mayonnaise

1 tsp. lemon juice

1 8-oz. can artichoke hearts, thoroughly drained and chopped

2 tsp. grated onion

Dash of garlic salt

Caviar

Mix cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Add artichokes, onion, and garlic salt. Mound the mixture on a serving plate (maybe a 5-inch mound) and slightly flatten the top. Spread caviar on top. Serve with crackers. Serves ten.

Hot mushroom spread

4 slices bacon

½ lb. mushrooms, chopped

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

2 Tbsp. flour

¼ tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

 1 8-oz. package cream cheese, cubed

2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. soy sauce

½ cup sour cream

Fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Leave 2 Tbsp. bacon drippings in skillet and pour the rest off (I keep a small jar of bacon drippings in the fridge for cooking, and I never let any other kind of cooking grease near it).

Add mushrooms, onion and garlic to skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushroom liquid is absorbed. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Then add cream cheese cubes, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, until cheese melts. Do NOT let it boil.

Serve warm with crackers. Makes about two and a half cups.

Have a jolly, holly holiday!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment