My Blog List

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What do you feed the granchildren?

Not sure about this, but I think all seven of my grandchildren will be here at some point this weekend. One is twelve, and then they range from eight to four, with two five-year-olds. One is a vegetarian and the rest are picky as only young children can be, some worse than others, some hungrier than others. Menu planning is a challenge--especially having enough on hand for breakfast and lunch without worrying about Saturday night dinner. My battle plan for that is Mexican food--at Joe T.'s. Edie, who doesn't want meat, can eat beans, rice, guac, cheese enchiladas, and cheese nachos. The dinner comes with beef tacos but I always give them to Christian anyway, so Edie--and her mom--can share them with others.
For breakfast, after an inventory, I decided I have plenty of dry cereal--Fiber One. Okay, it's not Fruit Loops, but it's what I have and it's better for them. I have honey and sugar and milk and maybe blueberries for the bold child. I also have chocolate chip Eggo waffles in the freezer and maple syrup. I'll buy eggs, bacon, and breakfast sausages--Jacob loves the sausages but because I've given them to him for supper, he can't get the concept of eating them for breakfast.

Lunch - sandwich makings will be available, lunch meat and cheese. Most of them don't want lettuce and tomato.

Some variations we might consider for kids:

Instead of a sandwich, layer ham or turkey and cheese (cheddar slice or provolone--I like the latter) and a little mayo. Roll up and serve. KIds will go through a stack of these. You can also use cream cheese in the roll-up. Note: I don't like processed cheese, and I rarely endorse a brand name here, but I think Sargento cheese slices are superior.

Spread crescent rolls with mustard and roll around half a hot dog. Consider adding a half strip of cooked bacon to each.

Depending how open-minded the child is, add pimiento cheese to a hot dog in a bun.

Spark up a meat and cheese sandwich with a slice of bacon.

Vary the pbj by making it with mayo and adding that slice of bacon.  Or make it with banana,  peanut butter and honey (a Jacob favorite).

Desserts: yes, I'll have individual ice cream cups but no chocolate sauce. I gave some to Jacob the other day but I'll explain it was the last of it. How about fruit rollups? Nestle fruit bars? No Twinkies. No junk food.

Here's a recipe I can't vouch for but plan to make tomorrow. It comes from the Febraury issue of Southern Living, and I recommend you buy the whole magazine--for the recipes. They're great, as they always are.

1 c. creamy peanut butter
3/4 c. sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup chocolate bits
Parchment paper

Stir all ingredients together, adding chocolate bits last. Put parchment paper on cookie sheets, and coat a tablespoon with cooking spray. Drop tablespoons of dough onto prepared pans. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes (they should get puffy) and cool.
My cookies never make the amount the recipe says, but this should make around 2 dozen--enough for seven kids for one weekend. The only part that alarms me is working with peanut butter--it's so sticky it's hard to deal with, but these sound good enough to try. I love flourless chocolate cake, so I figure flourless cookies ought to be as moist and good. Jacob will help me make these--I think. If not, he'll hinder me.

Oh, and I might have some "kid wine" (sparkling cider) on hand. I can even serve it in flutes, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment