My Blog List

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Boiled pork?Oh, come on now! With black beans

Yep, that's what I served for dinner tonight. Boiled pork. Years ago a friend introduced me to this--he just sort of did it and roughed out how, but later I found a recipe. You take 2 lbs. pork butt, cubed, and cover with 2 cups water and 1 Tbsp. salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer about an hour and a half until the water is all gone. Then stir the meat in the juices left in the pan until it browns--couldn't be easier. The cubes will turn brown and crispy on the outside and stay tender inside. While it's cooking, mix 2 or 3 good-sized garlic cloves, crushed, into 1/2 c. lime juice and refrigerate. Serve with pork. A half cup was too much--1/3 cup would be plenty. I served this to my gluten- and dairy-free friends Elizabeth and Weldon along with black beans. Found a recipe that called for cooking them from scratch with onion, bell pepper (I detest it and left it out), cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. I cheated and simmered canned beans in that mixture--I have never yet cooked black beans from scratch that were tender, though Weldon tells me the trick is to stir frequently, and each time you stir mash some of the beans against the side of the pot so they incorporate into the liquid.
Anyway, with these beans, after they simmered I drained them, added white wine, white vinegar and a bit of olive oil. Delicious. Elizabeth brought a salad and that was more than enough for supper. They went away with two recipes, and I'll cook that meal again. As a matter of fact, I thought the butcher overserved me--I asked for a pound-and-a-half to two pounds of pork and get two and three-quarters, so I froze one and a quarter. We ate every morsel of the pound and a half I cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment