My Blog List

Sunday, October 21, 2012

A hearty cheeseburger soup for cool weather

This is one of those recipes you have to fiddle with to suit your own tastes, and I have adjusted the ingredients below from the recipe I found on Pinterest. But I served it to guests the other night, and the enthusiasm was contagious. It makes a bunch, so tomorrow I'll take leftovers on a visit to my brother and his wife at their ranch--I expect it will be even better. I'll take sour cream (because I forgot to stir it in the first time) and chicken broth, in case it needs thinning--which I doubt.

2 carrots, grated
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
8 cups potatoes diced (for three people I used two large baking potatoes--surely not eight cups)
3 cans chicken broth (I measured about 45 oz. from some in the freezer and then from the boxed kind  you buy at the grocery--don't like canned)
1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. butter
1 lb. hamburger meat (I used ground sirloin)
1/2 c. milk
1 lb. Velveeta cheese
1/4 c. sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown the meat, drain and set aside. Dice the potatoes, grate the carrots, and chop the celery and onion. Melt 1/4 c. butter in a large pot; saute the onions and celery until clear.Add carrots, hamburger, potatoes and chicken broth (you can cook the potatoes at least partially beforehand and then it all goes faster). Simmer until vegetables are tender--but potatoes must be fork tender at this point.
Melt remaining 1/4 c. butter and stir in flour. Add to soup to thicken. Stir, then add the cheese in chunks and the milk. Stir until cheese is melted. Simmer in crockpot the rest of the day. Just before serving take it off the heat, add sour cream, stir and serve immediately.
I peppered this generously and sometime during the day tasted it and decided it need a good dose of salt. I was afraid the cheese would be too salty, but not so.
Serve with crusty bread and a nice wine. Oh, heaven! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment