My Blog List

Monday, July 8, 2013

Two recipes--one okay, one really good

I've been cooking lately and enjoying it. Never did worry about the oven heating up the kitchen in the summer. Last night, after eating at Jordan's house two nights, I volunteered to bring supper. I followed a recipe that I used to fix when the kids were young, especially with leftover turkey after the holidays. This time I used chicken tenders.

Chicken/wine casserole

Chicken breast or tenders, about a pound, cooked and diced
Rice or noodles, pre-cooked
1 can mushroom soup
Vegetables - I usually use frozen green peas but neither Jordan nor Christian will eat them, so I diced celery and red onion, sautéed them in butter
white wine--about a cup
assorted herbs
potato chips
grated cheddar

Salt and pepper the chicken, put a few slices of onion on it, cover and bake till done.
Put the wine in a small saucepan, throw in herbs as you want--I used 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. each of oregano, salt, pepper, thyme, basil. Boil hard until wine is reduced and herbs turn black.
Throw it all together and stir to mix. Mix crumbled potato chips and cheese and use as topping.
Bake 30 minutes or so at 350.
I usually use noodles but used rice last night--I'm not a big fan of rice, and I thought the whole thing was kind of bland but Christian ate two helpings. The potato chip/cheese combination makes a wonderful topping for all kinds of things. And this has the virtue of being quick and easy and made with ingredients you usually have on hand.

Tonight I had a real success. I've been boiling zucchini before stuffing it, but I saw a recipe that called for baking a raw zucchini.

Stuffed zucchini

one zucchini (serves two)
celery, diced
red onion, diced
a spoonful of sour cream
grated cheddar
grated Parmesan, fresh or frozen, please, not from the green shaker

Halve the zucchini lengthwise, and scoop out the center part. Dice scooped out squash and mix with celery, red onion, sour cream and grated cheddar. Top with Parmesan and bake 45 minutes at 350 or a bit less. I used the toaster oven, and it worked great. Delicious! Should have taken a picture because it came out golden brown--lovely.
The recipe I saw online had crumbled meat and bacon in it, but I went vegetarian. Also kind of made this up, omitting the curry and tomato, though adding a tomato might be good.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment