My Blog List

Sunday, March 2, 2014

The magic of avocadoes

I've been eating--and entertaining--high on the hog lately. The quail of last weekend,  a wonderful lamb meatloaf last night with oven-crisped asparagus, and tonight a beef cutlet with anchovy butter. All good, rich, and fun to fix. Except the asparagus. By the time I got it dipped in egg white and then a mix of parmesan, flour and panko, I swore I will never again cook anything that is dipped into egg and then crumbs or flour. I get the egg on my fingers and it creates great clumps of the breading--a mess. The asparagus, however, was delicious--even Jordan who doesn't really like asparagus--liked this, and Christian said he'd do it next time.
But for me the hit of the evening was an avocado salad dressing I got from Facebook. Avocadoes are good for you, they're obviously delicious, and I was growing weary of traditional salad dressings, though I know we should all eat our dark, leafy greens. So here it is:

1 lg. avocado, ready to use; peeled and cut into chunks
2 tsp.. lemon juice
1/2 c. Greek yogurt (I forgot to buy Greek and used regular--not as good for you, but you can't tell)
1 tsp. hot sauce--way to much; I sprinkle a few drops
1/4 c. olive oil
2 garlic cloves
3/4 tsp. salt

Throw it all in the blender. The avocado is hard to blend--chunks keep reappearing. You have to scrape down the sides and continue to blend until you don't see chunks. But this is really good and healthy.
I discovered too that it makes a terrific appetizer dip. I've served it with veggies and crackers, and it's a hit. Unlike guacamole, it's still good the next day, though I wouldn't trust it beyond that.

In my continuing effort to avoid prepared foods, I have run into a problem--the other night I fried bacon so Jacob and I could have bacon and eggs--breakfast for supper. But I had no empty can and nothing to put the bacon in. Anybody have a good solution? So many things that used to come in cans--like coffee--come in plastic these days! A dilemma.

No comments:

Post a Comment