My Blog List

Sunday, April 20, 2014

A southwestern twist on tuna

Easter's over, and it's time to get back to watching what I eat more carefully. In the last couple of days I cooked with more bacon than I have in two months. I never used to use bacon grease but since I'm increasingly in favor of more natural things and suspicious of artificial, I've gone back to my mom's habit of keeping a small jar of bacon grease in the fridge (I buy uncured bacon). Besides, the flavor can't be duplicated. Last night I used bacon grease to brown onions and celery for sloppy Joe--it really added a wonderful dimension to the flavor of the dish. Then today I made German potato salad and once again used bacon and the grease from cooking it to brown celery and onion--and of course crumbed the cooked bacon into the salad. But now it's back to healthy things--tuna salad and the like!
So Friday night for an appetizer when friends came for happy hour, I made southwestern tuna:

2 7 oz. cans albacore tuna, packed in water and drained
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 Tbsp. chopped red onion (I used scallions and it was great)
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp. grated lime peel
1 tsp. lime juice (I used a whole lime--they don't have that much juice)
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. chili powder

Mix it all together and chill. Serve with crackers (I used Ritz--delicious but there goes the diet again)

Question: who eats ham salad? At Easter dinner, we had ham and I mentioned that I buy a thick slice, flake it in the blender and make ham salad. Everyone at the table--six other adults--made a horrible face. Surely I'm not the only one who loves ham salad.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment