My Blog List

Thursday, January 2, 2020

Welcoming the weary travelers home




Jordan, Christian, and Jacob have been in New Orleans. The trip, planned to see Baylor play in whatever bowl that is, was part of Jacob’s Christmas, but it was really a treat for all of them. The football game was surely a disappointment—Baylor lost to Georgia, 26-14. When I first checked the score it was 26-0, so I guess Baylor rallied which was probably heartening.

But they did the things tourists should do in New Orleans—dinner at Muriel’s, a visit to Washington Square, brunch at Brennan’s. Jordan sent me a picture of the Brennan’s menu, an obvious ploy to make me jealous. But I retaliated with a picture of the menu from my super New Year’s Dinner. I haven’t heard if they went to Pat O’Brien’s for hurricanes or had beignets at CafĂ© du Monde. So much to do in New Orleans, they may have missed some of the high points in three days.

As I write they are about an hour out, driving in light rain. So what does one do to welcome travelers home? Make chicken soup, of course. Only I made turkey soup. I’ve had a recipe in my file forever called “Crack Chicken Soup.” Sent it to a niece in the Bronx who says her children love chicken soup, and tshe reported favorably on it. But I never got around to trying it. Tonight seemed the perfect night.

\My friend Subie said the other night she wanted to make turkey soup out of the carcass of their Christmas bird, but she’d never done it. I gave her this recipe, and she hesitated a bit. “I wanted to make something healthy,” she finally said. This is definitely not healthy, with a packet or Ranch Dressing mix, cheese, and half and half. I gave Subie simple directions on how to do a clear soup, without a cream base. Couldn’t imagine she’s never done it.

Just in case: Cover the turkey carcass with water, bring to boil, and let it simmer—for hours, even overnight if you wish. Some Jewish grandmothers simmer it for days. The longer it simmers, the more flavor to the broth. Add carrots, onions, and celery if you wish. When you decide it’s done, fish out the solid parts or strain.

SautĂ© diced fresh carrots, onion, and celery in olive oil or butter until soft, pour in the stock if you’ve simmered the carcass or use prepared chicken stock in a box. Add diced turkey. Add spaghetti or rice or diced potato is you want. Season with salt and pepper and you should have a good soup.

Crack chicken has several different steps. When the vegetables have softened and the onion turned translucent, add a packet of Ranch Dressing. Stir thoroughly, add a can of cream of chicken soup, and the stock (about four cups). Stir the stock in slowly to incorporate the canned soup. Add eight ounces spaghetti, broken into small bits. Bring to a boil and then simmer maybe twenty minutes. Because I was delaying dinner, I let it simmer at this point a good long while. But eventually I added a cup of half-and-half and a cup of grated sharp cheddar.

Your soup is done! Surely it will welcome the weary travelers and bring us good luck in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment