My Blog List

Friday, June 12, 2020

Comfort food with a bad reputation




I am frequently teased about some of the things I eat that no one else will touch. For instance, I grew up eating corned beef tongue, and few things are better to me than tongue sandwich on good deli rye bread. When I was a kid my mom served kidneys and bacon, and I’d like to try kidneys again, but you can no longer find a couple lamb kidneys in the meat counter. I’m told you have to order a case. No, thank you. Escargot? Raw oysters? Bring ‘em on. (You can see why Christian and Jordan sometimes despair of my culinary habits).

So here’s another thing that lots of people turn their noses up at, but I think is pretty good: chipped beef. Basically it is beef that has been pressed, salted, and air-dried. It is sliced into thin pieces and sold packed in jars. A 2.5 oz. jar of chipped beef will  feed four.

Unfortunately, creamed chipped beef on toast became a staple MRE (military ready=to-eat meal) and gained a bad reputation as “shit on a shingle.” You can even search the internet for that phrase and come up with the same recipes you get on a search for creamed chipped beef. It’s a quick, easy meal, one that carries me back to my childhood, and I’m making soon on a night I dine alone.

Creamed chipped beef

3 Tbsp. butter

1 Tbsp. flour

2 c. milk

Pinch of ground nutmeg

¼ tsp. garlic powder

¼ tsp. onion powder

½ tsp. pepper

3 dashes Worcestershire

½ tsp. Dijon mustard (optional)

1 2.5 oz. jar chipped beef

Toast

Chopped parsley or chives for garnish

You’ll notice there is no salt in the recipe—chipped beef is already salted, and you may want to rinse it in cold water.

Chop the beef and set aside. Melt butter in a skillet and stir in flour. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth with each addition. When the roux is the consistency you want, season with nutmeg, onion and garlic powders, Worcestershire, pepper, and mustard if using. Cook until it thickens a bit and stir in beef.

Serve on toast and garnish with parsley or chives if you wish.

You can halve this recipe, serving two, which leaves you with half a jar of chipped beef. Don’t let it go to waste—make a dip.

Chipped beef dip

Half jar of chipped beef, rinsed and salted

2 oz. cream cheese

2 oz. sour cream

2 or 3 green onions, chopped fine

About ¼ of an envelope of dry ranch dressing mix

Mix ingredients and chill. Especially nice served on with cocktail rye or pumpernickel.

Just don’t say SOS to anyone when you serve these two dishes.








No comments:

Post a Comment